At 11:59 pm on July 9, I made the executive decision to delete all my social media apps for 30 DAYS!! Of course with the exception of Pinterest and Youtube. I love youtube and watching videos! Although I didn’t last the full 30 days it was still a challenge. I know what you’re thinking GIRL, its just social media. But, seriously how many times do you check your Facebook, Instagram,snapchat or Twitter throughout the day? LET’S BE HONEST! Now…..at first I was a little scared to take this “mini” break because me promoting my blog happens on all my social media accounts. So, no social media meant I wouldn’t have anywhere to promote my site. Honestly, that worked perfectly for me because I wanted to change some things up so it was perfect timing.
Sometimes, I need a breather from social media. One thing I find myself doing is comparing myself and I’m honestly not even that type of person. But let’s be COMPLETELY honest we all do it on social media and don’t even realize it. I just turned 26 and I was having the ‘I’m not where I want to be Blues”. Although, I thank god for everything I have been blessed to accomplish so far. In my eyes, I am still so FAR from where I want to be. To be honest, social media is what makes me think I’m not doing enough. We all do it. I’m not the only guilty person and that’s okay. Social media is tailored for everyone to highlight the highs and not the lows. It’s necessary to drown out all unnecessary noise that comes along with social media.YES, Social media is very unnecessary at times. Let me just say it was nice to drop-off of the grid for a while.
Here are 5 things I learned during my 3-week social media detox
1. I COULD”NT keep up with any of the hot topics!
-So much happened while I was away from social media. There were many times co-workers or my siblings would say “Did you hear” and I’m like no I didn’t. I quickly realized if it wasn’t for social media I wouldn’t keep up with whats new in hot topics. I really don’t care about hot topics or whats going on with everyone else. I kept up with them because of social media or gossip blogs I follow. I quickly learned that if it wasn’t for social media I could care less about the gossip.
2.I became more attentive to myself and others!
-The more time I spent disconnected from my phone the more time I spent thinking of ways I want to better myself in all aspects. I set goals for the remaining of the year that required self-growth. I was actually able to go out and have fun without posting EVERY move on social media! I actually connected with others instead of being indulged in my phone the entire time. To be honest I barely even paid attention to my phone during this detox!
3. My morning routine changed!
-Okay so I know I am not the only person guilty of waking up in the morning and first thing you do before getting out of bed is check social media? Well for 3 weeks, of course, no social media meant that routine changed. Instead, I woke up every morning and read a morning devotional that gets sent to my phone at 7 am. I also mediated every morning. My thoughts ran a mile a minute every morning! So, I woke up every morning mediated, read positive affirmations and set daily goals.
4. Weirdly! I was more creative!
– Anyone who knows me personally knows I have so many ideas and things I want to CREATE! So with no social media, I was able to plan out content and projects I want to produce. I was able to think of creative ways I want to promote myself, my brand and work on my craft. With a mind free to wander and explore, I started to create things and ways to make moves. I planned a month worth of content, interviews and blog post. I had more time to write, brainstorm ideas, what would work and wouldn’t work.
5. I became more content with myself and where I am at in my life!
– This was the biggest lesson learned. I was able to really reflect on a lot during the last 3 weeks. My past, my present and things I want to see manifest in my future. I think more people should take a pause from social media to really learn to be more content with themselves. Crazy to say but I became more amazed at some of the things I have accomplished so far. I never take the time to really think about all the amazing things I’ve done. Starting this blog for one was something that really just has me in AWWW! I have been wanting to do this for 2 years! This has been something I have been wanting to do for a while and it finally happened. I realized though I am not where I want to be in reality I actually have come a LONG way!
Those 3 weeks were amazing. I’m actually surprised I lasted as long as I did. (pats myself on the back) I actually plan to take a social media break more often now. We all need it. Time away from the world, expectations of others and letting the internet rush you. I know now more than ever that I am exactly where I am meant to be. The 3 weeks I spent to myself were amazing. I was able to really figure out what I wanted from my life and my career! Are you interested in doing a social media detox? If so GO FOR IT! Trust me once you get back on you will see you weren’t missing a thing and EVERYBODY will still be doing the same thing.
If you do take a social media break be sure to let know how it goes!!!